Briefly,

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Sunday, February 1, 2009

    Tired and Feathered


    Yowzers!

    I recently moved, and for the first time in all the many times I've lived in NYC, I must furnish my living space from scratch.

    It's been a struggle, to say the least. Furniture is expensive, so I definitely can't buy it all at once, and locating furniture and other home furnishings that are at once space-appropriate and consistent with my aesthetic goals compounds the difficulte. Not to mention the financial and physical challenge of hauling something to my apartment or being home Monday-Friday during the day to accept a delivery.

    Aside: why do furniture stores for Manhattanites even sell full-sized couches and dining tables? Surely
    # of shoebox apartments > # of properly proportioned apartments here, non?

    Aaanyway, to add more financial insult to financial injury and more hassle to hassle, my existing possessions are deteriorating rapidly (see earlier post entitled "10-year replacement cycle"). Case in point: my down comforter. I woke up one chilly November morning to find my bed and person covered in loose feathers. Covered! Tarred and feathered, minus the tar. It was as if a gaggle of girls had taken over my bedroom under the cover of night and thrown the archetypal slumber party.
    I wonder how many secrets got whispered behind hands and into ears that night. I hope it was a lot, and I hope they were juicy because otherwise I'm suffering for nought.

    Oh my god. It was such an utter desastre in my apartment and covered me so completely from head to toe in feathers that I had two, count 'em TWO strangers who saw me that morning inquire as to what on earth happened to me.

    Ugh. Fortunately, today, I finally purchased a new comforter. Now, if I could just get my hands on a decent broom.

    No comments: