Briefly,

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Sunday, April 26, 2009

    Home Furnishings


    A few months ago, Facebook was besieged by a plague of lists wherein people would share things about themselves. Not usually one to engage in mass hysterics, I would have sat this one out per usual, but my sister suggested we should both participate out of familial duty since our cousins had expressed interest in our doing so. Of course, I ended up the George to her Jerry, detailing various perceived idiosyncracies about myself in a painstaking act of reveal-thy-self, while she never quite got around to it. Bah humbug.

    In that list (see below), I mentioned that home furnishings stress me out. Example: behold my teacups! I love them, but the thought of having to keep up with them and ensure their safety as I move from place to place is enough to make me want to just sell them off right now.

    The List 25
    1. Facebook stresses me out sometimes (case in point right here), as do doormen, home furnishings, and non-hair-related conversations with hairstylists.

    2. I recently discovered that my abdomen has an onion intolerance, not the six embryos I had originally suspected.

    3. I used to think I should live without regrets, but now I think that my regrets teach me important life lessons.

    4. I start counting my regrets at kindergarten (because my pre-school self just didn't know any better).

    5. All of my regrets involve interpersonal relationships, which I am terrible at navigating (but I'm sure you already knew that).

    6. My first regret stems from the first day of kindergarten, when I was so relieved that Amy Smialowicz asked me to play that I am quite sure that I did not turn back to wave goodbye to my mother.

    7. My second regret is that I never thanked Amy Smialowicz for asking me to play.

    8. I attended four colleges in four years.

    9. I resent all the other April Changs in the world for diluting the powerful cachet attached to my name.

    10. A placenta once fell onto my shoe. The stain just recently faded.

    11. I have a recurring nightmare where I fail my childhood piano teacher.

    12. I'm interested in living in a commune of people who are successful, intelligent, and don't make me vomit. Please send leads.

    13. I secretly wish everyone knew about my blog.

    14. I took a weekend trip to Los Angeles with nothing but a carry-on suitcase and ended up staying there for a year.

    15. I went nuts wearing my entire wardrobe when I returned from LA, but now I want to go back to having no belongings.

    16. I grew up watching almost 40 hours of television per week.

    17. Some jobs I've had: blueberry picker, street hustler (of comedy tickets), Pepsi Challenge promotional photographer, birth doula, nanny, telemarketer. This list is still growing.

    18. Masseuses always tell me I'm flexible and have soft skin, but I think that's because they're used to hairy old people.

    19. I once had an eyelash that was 1.5 inches long. I wanted to submit it to Guinness, but I couldn't find a photographer with both the skillz and willingness to photograph my novelty act.

    20. As a child, I tried to domesticate a fly by trapping it in a plastic container and naming it Fred. To my horror, he died a few days later.

    21. I also once used my Care Bear stuffed animal to mop up spilled apple juice.

    22. And would stuff half-eaten hot dogs under the couch.

    23. And would bite the edge of an oblong throw pillow and thrash it around while calling it a hot dog.

    24. Self-checkout terminals have allowed me to live out my lifelong dream of being a grocery store clerk.

    25. I have four alarm clocks and can sleep through all of them.

    No comments: